Sunday, June 13, 2010

Week Twenty-Three

Event:  Signed up to be a Big Sis (in the Big Brothers Big Sisters program)

Every year I've managed to come up with an excuse as to why I don't have time to be a Big Sis.  A few weeks ago I got to thinking about it and found myself having a hard time coming up with any real excuses.  I mean let's face it.  I don't have kids.  I don't have a husband.  I don't work two jobs.  I don't cook.  And I don't work out.  In fact, the last time I worked out was a month ago.  It was 9:30pm and I was sitting on the couch in my pajamas.  And while it was May, I was still wearing cotton pajamas with snowflakes on them.  As I sat knee deep in a bowl of ice cream, I decided it was time to work out.  So I popped in my Jillian Michaels Biggest Loser workout video.  Unfortunately, while motivated to do the video, I was not motivated enough to change clothes.  I talked myself into keeping on my snowflake pj's because who was I kidding - it's not like I was really going to sweat.  Barefoot and in my pj's I started the video but within minutes I remembered the benefits of wearing a sports bra...especially when doing jumping jacks.  Not having much motivation, and wanting to get it over with, I decided I needed my bra but was too lazy to change.  So, I did what any college-educated woman would do.  I put it on over my pajamas. 

I digress.

Upon realizing I have nothing going on most nights except checking my e-harmony account, I decided I could really use a little sis to boss around (just kidding) so I signed up.  I filled out my application, gave 3 references and attended an orientation.  There, I learned about the program - like how I'll go through an interview process, be assigned a case manager, participate in a home visit (perfect time to set out and show off my dumbbells and Biggest Loser video) and then boom - this "Big" will be matched with a "Little".  Side note:  When I first arrived at the orientation, one of the coordinators was wearing a nametag that said, "I'm a Big".  At first glance I thought it said, "I'm Big" and I was like there's no way in hell I'm wearing a nametag that says "I'm Big."  (Then again, I wouldn't have this self-esteem issue if I actually did the work out video).  I digress.  Again.

During orientation we were asked to share with the group why we wanted to be a Big Sis.  I responded by telling the group I'm a mentor to a 5th grader and while I don't think I'm making a difference in her life, she's definitely making a difference in mine.  In fact, I'm giving her full credit for teaching me, er, reminding me what a conjunctive adverb is, where all 50 states are (on a puzzle even!), how to add without using my fingers...

So, here's to being a Big Sis and influencing a child's life.  Preferably one that loves ice cream, coloring (by number) and one who agrees that a good workout can come in the form of playing tag, kickball or Nintendo Wii (with or without a sports bra).

1 comment:

  1. Ahhhh... so much fun! I wish you had to do something new every DAY so you would post more often. I love reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete